The process of moving house can prove to be a tough period filled with puzzling situations and seemingly unsolvable dilemmas. Usually, it’s the lack of a good plan that can make things even more complicated than they need to be in the first place. The uncertainty of what to do next, combined with move-related inexperience are usually the major reasons for people to feel stressed out and consequently, to make costly mistakes down the road.
If you happen to be moving soon, underestimation can be your greatest enemy – thinking that you can manage the move on your own until you finally realize that that particular task is way over your head. Ultimately, you also realize that you’ve wasted valuable time reassuring yourself that you’ve got the situation under control, and now, for a change, it’ll cost you twice the efforts to make up for that lost hours, days, or possibly even weeks.
You need the best residential movers near you, and you need them right now. The success of your move is now dependent on how fast you manage to find and hire a top-rated and affordable moving company to help you transport all your furniture and other personal items to another home.
Do you really need the best residential movers near you?
If you’re hesitant whether you need to hire professional moving services or not, the following brief checklist will help you decide what’s best for you, your family and your prized possessions.
- Are you moving to another city in the same state? If yes, then pay attention to the move distance – should it exceeds 50 miles, you will most likely need professional movers.
- Are you moving to another state? If yes, you need to hire an interstate moving company with years of experience and solid reputation.
- Are you moving coast to coast? If yes, you definitely need to contact an experienced coast to coast mover.
- Do you own expensive and valuable household items like antique furniture? If yes, nobody will take better care of your high value items than a team of vigorously trained packers and movers.
- Is your home full of specialty items such as a piano or a pool table? If yes, then you should be asking yourself, “Are there specialty piano movers near me or pool table movers near me?” instead of endangering your health and damaging your property with a risky self-move.
- Does it seem unlikely that you’ll get help from your friends? If yes, then it seems like you’re out of good options as no residential move is meant to be a one-man affair.
- Is this the very first time you’re moving house? If yes, then you’d better do the sensible thing and let professional movers near you do what they do best. It’s good to know that insufficient moving experience on your part could ruin your chances of having a smooth and stress-free relocation during a transitional period where elevated levels of stress are definitely not welcome.
How to find movers near you
Finding top-rated yet affordable movers in the big city is easier than ever!
One thing is certain – there are great furniture movers near your location but before you can take advantage of their excellent services, you will have to find who those professionals are. Some moving companies are good, others are much better, then come the top-rated companies that continuously do an outstanding job for their valued customers.
Regrettably, there are also some not-that-great movers in the mix – companies that often use dishonest methods of securing moving jobs and can go as far as cheating their potential clients. The worst of them, also known as rogue movers, could definitely turn your household move into a nightmare.
Thus said, it’s important that you learn how to find and later partner with reputable and affordable moving companies close to you without any fears of being scammed in the process.
- Step 1. Recommendations. Ask friends, co-workers and colleagues if any of them has used a great moving company lately. Take advantage of your preferred social networks to ask the same question in the hope of reaching more sources you can trust. This initial step of gathering valuable information will present you with more options and may actually help you locate local movers near you who will work just fine for you.
- Step 2. Customer reviews. Your opinion polls among your pals may have failed or you may decide that you need more information before you can trust a mover. Either way, step number 2 when looking for residential moving companies near you is to see, or rather read what the majority of customer reviews say about the movers in your area. Access trustworthy websites such as MyMovingReviews.com and Yelp.com to read genuine reviews and check the overall ratings of local or interstate movers. Online reputation is built up by satisfied or dissatisfied customers so it should, in most cases, be a good indicator of what you are to expect if you choose one specific mover over another one.
- Step 3. Price estimation. By now you must have pre-selected a number of moving companies that seem trustworthy enough and support your move route. Now you’re entering a stage when you need to know how much the local movers near your area will charge you for the house move. In other words, you need to have price estimates in front of you so that the picture can finally get a bit clearer. Contact the house movers that you think will do a good job and have them estimate the costs you’re about to incur.
- Step 4. Home survey. Before you can compare the estimates you have received, you need to have them first in your hands, right? To get accurate quotes that will best reflect what you pay in the end of your move, have moving experts from the corresponding companies visit your home in person in order to assess the situation and quote you a price. Under normal circumstances, you shouldn’t agree to online estimates or estimates done over the phone as their accuracy is highly questionable. Once the home survey is over, you should have your binding estimates with all the details you need to make an informed decision.
MAKE IT EASIER FOR YOU: There’s an easier and faster way to get that all-important initial contact with licensed and insured movers in your area – just fill in the quick cost estimator at the top of the page /takes less than a minute/.
MUST READ: What are the average moving costs?
How to analyze and compare movers near you
You have successfully connected with the best furniture movers in your area but now comes the bit trickier part – which of the few moving companies to select as your partner. You should always try to pay as little as possible for your move so that the lower bids made by the cheapest movers near you will inevitably look more attractive. However, be warned that you shouldn’t base your choice on the price alone as there are other factors that might hurt your budget unexpectedly.
You get an A+ for doing your homework right.
Your mission: analyze and compare the custom quotes you have now in your hands.
- Step 1. Legality. If you don’t have any special recommendations or references concerning any of the movers you are now reviewing, then it’s time to learn more about them by doing a little research. Visit the official page of the regulatory body of all interstate moving companies (U.S. Department of Transpiration) and check the movers’ legal status there. They must be properly licensed to operate by the DOT (their USDOT number is the proof for that) and must be adequately insured as well.
- Step 2. Dependability. The movers you’re researching should be proud members of the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA) – another proof that they can be trusted and yet another level of protection for you. The AMSA consumer protection and certification program is called ProMover (launched in 2009), and you should make sure your future partner in a reputable and honorable moving company – that is, a ProMover.
- Step 3. Top ratings by customers. As mentioned above, taking the time to read some customer reviews will give you a general idea of what type of moving companies close to you – and the ones you will be dealing with soon. In addition to checking moving reviews websites, you are advised to also take a look at the movers’ BBB ratings. Good ratings from the Better Business Bureau will give you an extra peace of mind that you are leaving your possessions in abled hands.
- Step 4. Quote comparison. Provided that the residential moving companies near you have passed the background check with flying colors, it’s time for you to concentrate on the actual written estimates you got. The things to be cautious about are exactly what moving services you will receive and what their respective rates are. For example, packing is the extra service that will make a huge difference in the end, including the potential price of the required packing materials. Do take your time to compare the quotes and refrain yourself from hasty decisions based purely on intuition.
- Step 5. The crystal clear approach. The final step before you say Yes to an offer made by a house mover near you is to double check if you understand everything that is laid out in the binding estimates. Should you come across something that you’re not sure you comprehend, then don’t hesitate to contact the corresponding company and ask for clarification. It can be anything – from a vague clause through fine print that is too fine to read, and to unexpected prices. How could you entrust all your valuable items to a company if you don’t even understand completely their relocation offer?
Once you’re 100% sure that you have managed to find the best moving company near you (thanks to the moving tips above, of course), it’s time to hire its services. This is actually the sweetest moment of your house move because you just know how much work, efforts and headaches the pros will save you during the relocation process. And besides, it feels great to know you’ve done your homework right and things will be just fine.
Good luck with your move!
USEFUL INFO: Moving to another state: the complete guide